Thursday, April 26, 2012

Update: April 4th Scope & Biopsies

A few weeks ago, Aidan had his second scope.  The first scope took place on December 14th and showed lots of eosinophils in his esophagus and colon.  We were hoping for better this time.  Aidan had been almost entirely elemental for the past seven months (minus one very very sad rice trial), so hopes were high.

The morning began with a very early wakeup.  I packed a sleepy, confused baby bug into the car, tucked him in with his blankets, and hoped that he fell back asleep (nope).  We arrived just as CHOP Exton opened - we were the first patients in the door that morning.  We were taken directly back to the pre-op waiting room, where Aidan changed into his CHOP jammies and we played.















As nerves began to set in (mine, not his!), I gave Aidan his beloved balloon (Ballooney!) and his beloved Tubie Friend (Toby!) and we waited to be called back.  We didn't have long to wait - Dr. Liacouras starts his day bright and early.

We soon found ourselves in the back, having vitals taken and being chatted up by the anesthesiologist.  We argued back and forth for a while about whether Aidan was well enough for the procedure - ultimately we agreed that he was - and were finally given the all-clear for the Versed.  Versed is the happy juice that children at CHOP get before a procedure.  It makes them a little silly, a little sleepy, and totally willing and happy to wave bye bye to mommy and be taken off to places unknown with a strange nurse.

Aidan went from happy to sleepy to zoned out to almost totally asleep within about ten minutes.

















Around this time, the nurses told me that they were ready to take him back.  I was left in the pre-op waiting room, thinking about him and hoping that things went well.  He was in excellent hands, I know, but it's always a bit nerve-wracking to see your child put under anesthesia.

Less than thirty minutes later, Dr. Liacouras came out to let me know that he did wonderfully.  Things were visually "beautiful" and we'd have more results in about a week.

A few minutes later, I was brought back to see my sleeping beauty, who took his time waking up and didn't exactly come out of it smiling.  Waking up from surgery is always tough, isn't it?

I have so much love and affection to the nurses at Exton.  They treat us as though we're the only patient there that day (which is FAR from the case).  By the time Aidan left, he was all smiles and flirts.  Toby Tubie was feeling pretty good too :)



Several days later, we got the call from Dr. Liacouras.  Somehow, we've made the right decisions, because HIS SCOPE WAS NORMAL!!!  What this means for us is that now we know that he has the ability to feel good.  We have a good baseline for our future food trials.  This is really exciting news!!!

15 comments:

  1. I'm so happy and excited that there is a *normal* for Aidan and it's not just accepting that "this is as good as it's going to get." This is wonderful news!!

    Wish I could have been there with you but glad that I didn't risk infecting our boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the best news I've heard in his life, seriously. It gives me so much hope for the future :)

      Delete
  2. Yayyy! What fantastic news! I am so so glad to hear this, love <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog from Growing Up Geeky and you are truly an amazing person. You and your family have been through so much but through it all you continue to smile. I hope that everyone can learn something from your posts.

    Amazing news for the little guy! I used to volunteer at CHOP and I know their services are great (even if their bedside manner is a little lax).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! Through all the frustrations, I try not to lose sight of how truly lucky we are to have CHOP in our lives.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I almost thought he was kidding when the doctor called with the results, except that he's a really, seriously unfunny man.

      Delete
  5. I'm so happy for you and Aidan! It's great to hear that he got a normal result. Does this mean another food trial will come soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, no food trials until closer to his second birthday :(

      Delete
  6. This is fantastic news! Aidan looked pretty carefree on the Versed and Toby looks like a great pal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, these pictures are a glimpse into Aidan's college years for sure...

      Delete
  7. I'm glad to know that you received good news concerning Aidan's test. I know you and your husband were ecstatic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It couldn't have come at a better time, too :)

      Delete