Thursday, February 13, 2014

Feeding Tube Awareness Week 2014 - My Hopes and Dreams for You

On the day Aidan was born, a lifetime of hopes and dreams for him were born too.  Dreams for his future - all of the things he would learn, people he would love, and lives he would touch.  Hopes for the easiest life possible.

These days, my hopes and dreams have gotten more practical, and just a bit more specific.

I hope for Independence.  Tube feeding can be intimidating to an adult, and sometimes it's easy to forget how capable our children can be.  Aidan wants to learn to take care of himself.  I hope that I'm brave enough and patient enough to help him learn.

No Mommy do it.  AIDAN DO IT!

I hope for Confidence.  During Feeding Tube Awareness Week - and all year round - I try to teach Aidan how important it is to share his differences with the world.  It's nothing to hide, nothing to be ashamed of.  It's not a limitation.  It's a body part.  Eyes.  Ears.  Toes.  Tubie.  I hope Aidan never loses the confidence to show the world that he's completely and absolutely perfect, just the way he is.


I hope for Understanding.  This one's not for Aidan.  This one's for everyone else.  I hope that the world can begin to understand that different is okay.  Your Normal is not on our wishlist.  We are happy just the way we are.  We aren't anxiously awaiting the day that Aidan will no longer be tube fed.  This isn't something awful that we tolerate because we have no other choice.  I love my Tubie and I wouldn't change a thing.






No comments:

Post a Comment