Sunday, September 29, 2013

Allergy Friendly Snacks and Treats - Skeeter Snacks

Next up in our allergy-friendly snack bin?  Skeeter Snacks!  I went for the Golden Oatmeal, because I love a good oatmeal raisin cookie!


The Company: Skeeter Snacks makes allergy-friendly cookies, and has an adorable squirrel mascot to boot!


The Website: http://skeetersnacks.com/

The Allergy Factor: All Skeeter Snacks are Peanut and Tree Nut free, as are their facilities.  In their words - No Nuts.  Not Ever.

The Look: It looks pretty harmless.  I don't really see any raisins, which may not be a real bummer to most people, but I happen to really like raisins.

The Smell: It doesn't smell like much until you get up close, but when you do, it's pretty mouth-watering.

The Texture: I'll be honest - I'm kind of disappointed.  In my opinion, an oatmeal raisin cookie needs to be soft.  I just don't like crunchy oatmeal raisin cookies!  This one is completely hard and crunchy and a little bit dry. :-/

The Taste: They're not bad.  But I really only found one raisin in one cookie and two in the other - raisins add an important element to the taste of an oatmeal raisin cookie for me.  As for the cookie itself - it was pretty nondescript.  Not overly sweet.  I can definitely taste the cinnamon, especially in the aftertaste.

The Final Verdict: I don't think I'd seek these out again, knowing that there are other allergy-friendly options.  They aren't bad, but I can't really picture myself ever craving them.  I will say that they do a great job making their website kid-friendly with coloring pages and background info on Skeeter, the nut-allergic squirrel - so props there.  The price is right - so these would totally work if you're looking to send in a nut-free snack for schoolmates to share.  Just be aware that they are only nut-free - so they do contain allergens such as egg, milk, wheat, and others.  Keep your label-reading eyes peeled and enjoy with caution :)

No comments:

Post a Comment