Sunday, March 4, 2012

Organizations That Matter - Tubie Friends™

From time to time, I stumble upon an organization that I think is really worthwhile.  I'd like to share one today, because I think it's both touching and important.



Tubie Friends™ was started by a group of moms whose children have been or are currently using a feeding tube as a primary source of nutrition. We’ve seen what a comfort a Tubie Friend™ can be during a hospital stay, procedure or just when they need a friend. In addition to bringing comfort to the child, these Tubie Friends™ can also be used as a teaching tool for family, friends and caregivers. Our goal is to take the fear out of feeding tubes, one Tubie Friend™ at a time.


I took that description from their Facebook page, because I think it's such a good one.  These people take time and resources out of their own busy lives and send joy to children, one Friend at a time.  It's such a good way to promote feeding tube awareness, and it's an even better way to start conversations among children that promote understanding and acceptance.  What an amazing visual aid to take in to show and tell.  What a comfort to a frightened child facing their first tube placement surgery.

Go check out their website!

I have reached out to this organization to let them know how strongly I feel about the good that they're doing and to see how I can help.  We sent a donation in the form of a Build-a-Bear giftcard that allowed ten other children to receive Tubie Friends™ of their own.  I am heartened to see someone spending time on a child's day-to-day quality of life.  Our children are more than their diseases and disorders.  They're scared, they're curious, and they want to fit in with everyone else.

You can bet that if we go the tube route, we'll be relying on the kindness and generosity of the Tubie Friends™ organization to bring Aidan some joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment