Monday, June 16, 2014

Just Sugar Lollipops

Recipe Information:
Number of Servings: 18
Recipe Borrowed from: Kids with Food Allergies

Tools Needed:
Candy Thermometer
Lollipop Molds (I use silicone to avoid the need for cooking spray)
Lollipop sticks (My grocery store sells them, but you can also find them at any craft store with a candy aisle)
Gravy boat (optional, but very helpful)
Non-Stick Aluminum Foil

Ingredients
1 Cup granulated (white) sugar
2/3 Cup Golden Syrup
1/4 Cup + 2 tbsp water

Instructions:
- Add all ingredients to saucepan, with candy thermometer attached.  Bring to a boil over high heat and do not stir
- As mixture heats, prepare molds by adding lollipop sticks.
- When mixture reaches 300°F (Hard Crack), quickly remove from heat.  If available, pour carefully into gravy boat.
- Quickly pour mixture into molds.
- Allow to cool (20-30 minutes).
- Remove Lollipops from molds and wrap in nonstick aluminum foil.



Notes:
- I would love to link you over to a fabulous candy thermometer, but truthfully, I'm still searching.  If you find a wonderful one, please leave me a comment and let me know.
- Lollipop molds were almost the death of me.  I tried hand-poured lollipops, but they were very thin and flat, and once my son's tongue touches the stick, he's no longer interested in the lollipop.  In my head, I envisioned churning out bags and bags of homemade dum dum pops.  Reality was not quite so fancy.  I tried some plastic molds from Sur La Table (like these) but I was losing half of my output to breakage because I can't use any nonstick spray.  Freezing the lollipops before attempting to remove them from the molds helped only slightly.  Ultimately, many hours of searching eBay and entrusting a few dollars to a Chinese seller got me some smiley face silicone lollipop molds. 
- I find Golden Syrup at my grocery store, but you can get it on Amazon
- I like to use a gravy boat because it's much easier to pour into molds from that than a 300° - but it's totally a matter of preference.  Just note that even though you remove the pan from the heat, it will continue to rise in temperature (especially if you leave it in the saucepan), so pour into molds quickly!
- This is a half-recipe.  To make the full recipe, you will need the following:
          1 Cup granulated (white) sugar
          2/3 Cup Golden Syrup
          1/4 Cup + 2 tbsp water



Aidan loves these lollipops.  They are safe for him, because they are literally just sugar and water. While his dentist may not love the idea as much as we do, I really enjoy that I can give him something that makes him feel like a regular kid.




No comments:

Post a Comment